Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Skins

Our IT guy at work is an ex-roadie and has a pretty encyclopedic knowledge of music, particularly the hard rock kind. I wandered down to his dungeon with a vaguely pathetic tech query but got completely distracted by videos he was watching of crazy drummers. He showed me this amazing drum battle between Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich:



Just bananas. Rich is considered possibly the best drummer of all time. You could blame his parents - apparently he started drumming in vaudeville as "Taps the Drum Wonder" at just 18 months old... But in my opinion, which to be fair is gleaned from approximately four minutes of research on Wikipedia and YouTube, his entire career led up to a single, ecstatic performance: in 1980, on The Muppet Show.



"When I play a theatre, I PLAY the theatre!"

No comments:

Post a Comment